Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Starling Hackle Sakasa Kebari




I tied this up last week, I'll find out if it catches fish this week when I head up to New Hampshire's Pemigewasset Wilderness. I'll be spending four days tenkara fishing for wild brook trout, you'll probably see a series of posts sometime next week on the whole experience. I'll doubtless have stories to tell, photos to share, and equipment to review.

Anyway, this fly was inspired by Stewart's Black Spider, but only insofar as it incorporates starling hackle. I actually did buy the starling skin to tie the Black Spider, but with my new-found addiction to sakasa kebari style flies, I couldn't help but tie a few with the starling. Here is another look at the result in the vise:


Size 14 hook, starling hackle (two feathers), and black 6/0 uni-thread

1 comment:

  1. I like your version of the spider very much. I'm sure you'll bring a ton of fish to hand over your 4 day outing. Can't wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete