Monday, June 7, 2010

A Rainy Day in June: Quest for the Pork Barrel



It's always interesting to talk to a real local; someone who's grown up in their area and knows it well. Somewhere in Central Massachusetts west of Northampton there is a legendary location known as the the "Pork Barrel." Thing is, I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure what it is or where it is, but people do talk about it. And yes, it does have to do with fishing. It might be a pool on a certain river, or maybe a pond. It's out there somewhere, and it's supposed to hold a lot of fish.

We went out looking for it today. It was a casual search, and I'm quite sure we didn't find it.

We got started around 7:45am, parked the car, geared up, and headed down to the stream. I decided to try out my horsehair line from the Tenkarabum. My first impressions: horsehair casts better than anything else I've fished so far, hands down. If it were tougher, I'm not sure that I'd want to fish anything else. I'll have to see how it does with dries, but I'm confident it will perform admirably.



In the first pool I hooked two small brookies of about 5 inches, one after the other. By that point it had started raining, but luckily it was a warm day so we didn't mind getting soaked through. I continued to fish the sakasa kebari, but we all went fishless for a few hours as we moved farther upstream. I finally managed to find a nice sized brookie at the head of a shallow pool. I'm pretty sure this was the only fish of any size caught the whole morning:



I hadn't fished in the rain for quite some time - I'd forgotten how much I love being in the forest during a hard rain.



The hike out




Looking down hill toward the River, somewhere in the woods

No comments:

Post a Comment