Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Old Favorite

I finished up early with work today, so of course I took the chance to get out on the stream. For some reason this year I haven't had much luck with trout on dry flies, or wets for that matter. Guess I've been in a funk. It was time to turn that around, so I headed over to one of my favorite brooks. This is the first brook where I met with small stream success; for whatever reason a lot of things just "clicked" on my first trip here. In hindsight, I'm not really sure why! The stream is tiny, bushy, and loaded with fallen trees. It's really a tricky place to fish in terms of casting, and really not all that well suited to tenkara. Furthermore, the mosquitoes down in this swampy little brook are downright deadly. On the other hand, it really is a beautiful place to fish:








I bushwhacked down to the stream and arrived to the heartening sound of rising trout. I tied on a parachute adams and got started. The fish didn't seem to enthused by the adams, but the bugs were just too fierce to bother stopping to change flies. I found that I needed an absolutely perfect presentation to get any interest. Along the way I noticed deer, raccoon, and heron tracks on the banks, and came across some absolutely huge crane-flies. All in all I managed two small trout before the mosquitoes got to be just too much; I'd passed on the bug spray, that was a mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment